Sunday, November 27, 2016

Small Victories


I won't claim that I have been wildly successful at pursuing my joy in the last couple of weeks, though they have been joyful. I just can't particularly take credit for that. I even have to confess that the reward card seen here is actually from week before last. Last week I did not get my intentions in a row. 





Even today, I have to admit that I allowed myself to veer off task and put mundane chores ahead of what I had intended to be my work for the day. And I'm going to wholeheartedly forgive myself for it.

I do want to relate one small story that underlined for me why I am doing this, whatever this is. This week I finished a quick pom-pom scarf for myself, which has been one of my knitting to-dos for a while.



I happened to say to my husband that my mother, sister, sister-friend, and nieces all already have at least one scarf from this lovely fluff stuff, and that it was time I had one, too. His response was that I should have made one for myself first. 

Except that is not generally how it works, except perhaps for experimental projects like the sweater with two different-sized arms. With only a couple of very calculated exceptions, I'm mainly left with the prototypes. That is why I am pleased with myself this year for having completed two very nice projects just for me. In case you are interested, here is the other: 


The work from now through December will be mostly for others, and since my chief interest in knitting is the combination of challenge and relaxation, that is just fine. But it's every now and than important to remind ourselves that the cobbler also needs shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment